November 10, 2009

Wearable gesture interface

Today I want to talk about a movie I saw on You Tube from WUW - sixthsense about a wearable computer and a gestural interface. I have to say that it's a very good job.
I think that gesture recognition will be the future interface for devices; Nintendo given us a success example with its Wii and now also Microsoft with Project Natal. I have to admit that those two examples are indoor examples, for outdoor the interaction could be different.

These gays on YouTube video made a great job, but another time we are going to replicate a Desktop or Laptop usage and behavior into those wearable devices.
Do you imagine that someone of you will go walking around the city dressing a projector and moving its hands like a "Robocop"? I won't do :-).
I think that: Interaction do the difference.

We have to keep in mind that people in general (the so called street man) has not technical background and takes time to accept and use a different technology specially if this technology has a high level of complexity. People are frightened by the complexity.
The hardware stuff should be away from the human body, should be placed in the surrounding environment and recognize normal and standard gesture that people do normally.

We need to push the computer in the direction of humans, not vice versa if we want the natural interaction and acceptable gesture recognition.

I've not the solution on my pocket, but I think that this process can be achieved by the collaboration not only between informatics, but involving also experts in sociological disciplines.
Natural interaction is not an informatics story, it is related to human behavior.
This will impact also in other fields and technology applications like the home automation (soon I'll post something on it).
What do you think? which is your preferred interaction modality?

Thanks for reading :-) Feel free to leave your comments (only registered).

No comments:

Post a Comment